Tuesday, August 22, 2006


Again I'm working only with materials available. In the beach cove I have mentioned below is the evidence of a campfire long since extinguished and buried by wind blown sand. With a little excavating this produces some fine sticks charcoal suitable for drawing with. At the high end of the three sided cove is a hundred year old sea wall. It's grey concrete has been smoothed by ions of plus tides leaving a surface of "good tooth" most suitable for charcoal renderings. Kneeling in front of the wall poised with drawing stick in hand, I'm looking into the solid wall and through it. Waiting for the image to emerge, I'm aware of the repelling waves of light, movement like the ebb and flow of shore break bouncing from my eye to wall. I reach way back into my mind of imagery and I hear over my shoulder the splashing laughter of a child frolicking in the sea. The child is mine and I realize I am the child also of so long ago. Something is triggered, I turn the black carbon stick between my sooted fingers and all of a sudden like a sailfish he breaches the aqua blue depth of myth and memory. A vision suspended above my soul glistening wet in a mediterranean sun, it is the legend of the "Boy on a Dolphin". Before the two can slip from my hands, I calm them both with a song and capture their likeness with my burnt wood wand. Just as quickly as fish freed from the hook they disappeared back to from where they came.I then heard the booming word of "Awesome" coming from a husky voice echoing off the cliff. A burly bearded dude leaning on his spearlike staff with his wolf dawg on a rope had been standing close behind me watching me draw. I said "thanx man" and added the finishing marks to my sketch. His appearance brought to mind the evidence left of prehistoric times when tribal stories by cave dwellers were recorded in much the same way by using charcoal and other materials available. The cave painter artist working in flickering torch light must have appeared awesome to his kinsman. They probably regarded him as part magician and part entertainer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Summer Pierre said...

what? no tribute? SO SAD... maybe I'll call you and ask if you're mad at me. Just kiddn' of course.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home